Notepad – Help for Mac
Download the latest version of this app from the Mac Downloads page
After upgrade, I can’t see my old notepad files in welcome window.
Actually, the list of files in welcome window is just a list of recent opened files. If the file you want to open is missing in the list, please open that file in the Finder. Then it will appears in the list next time you open Notepad.
I try to open the application and the menu bar shows the application for a moment and then goes back to the Finder.
Due to a known bug the Notepad application version 8 or previous can not be located in a folder whose path contains unicode characters. We’re fixed this in the current verion, if you are using a older version just move the Notepad application in the Applications folder (or anywhere else, provided the path to it doesn’t contain unicode characters such as accented characters or symbols) and it should open flawlessly. Then it should launch with no problem.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
What can I do whether I lost my password?
If you forget the password you will not able to access the notes stored on a protected notepad file. Forgotten passwords cannot be retrived. The only way you have to access again the data is the one to remember the password you used when activate the password option. You can find interesting advice about creating strong passwords you can remember here: Creating Secure Passwords [About.com].
When I try to import notes, it does not give me an option to import with my iPod touch saying no supported iPod was found
The Import Notes feature is available on iPods that have a dock connector. This includes iPod mini, iPod (with Dock Connector), and iPod (Click Wheel) models. iPhone, iPod touch, iPod classic (80 GB or 160 GB) and iPod nano (3rd generation) are not supported. Identifying iPod models [Apple Site]
The license file I downloaded with the link you give me don’t work
The correct file extension of the license file has to be “.notepadlicense“. If the file after download got a wrong extension, please change it.
Upgrading from Apimac Note Pad 1.6 to Notepad
To upgrade from the previous version of the application to current version, please try the following:
- Create a folder on the desktop, assigne the name you prefer, for example “Old Notes”.
- Launch the old version of the application.
- Choose “Show All Notes” menu item from the Notes menu.
- Choose “Export” from File menu.
- Pick “Listed notes” from the window that appairs then click the button “Folder” and choose the folder you created on the desktop.
- Quit the old version of the application.
- Open the new version of the application.
- Choose “Import” from File menu.
- Pick the option “Files in a Folder” from the window that appairs then click the button “OK” and choose the folder you created on the desktop.
Backup the data in Notepad version 8 or previous
To backup data of Notepad in a different disk copy the Notepad file which contains all your data. Here’s the location of Notepad’s data file:
/Users/<you>/Library/Application Support/Apimac/Notepad/Notepad File
Please note: current versions of Notepad store the document files where chose by user (e.g. Desktop or Documents folder).
Easy and advanced searching
Notepad gives you two search options.
- Easy Search will match any text you entered in the search field even in a not contiguos way, for example “nice girl” will match “Mary is a nice girl” as well as “Berenice is a little girl“.
- Regular Expression is an advanced search method based on patterns, for example “nice|girl” will match either “nice try” and “pretty girl“. More info on it can be found on many websites such as the dedicated page of the Wikipedia.
Need More Help?
My problem is not listed here
Please open a ticket to describe a different problem. We will be glad to help.